|I Am Not a Robot|
|Released||April 26, 2009|
|Label||679 Recordings, Atlantic Records|
|The Family Jewels (UK edition) track listing|
|"I Am Not a Robot" is track number 3.|
| Previous track|
| Next track|
|The Crown Jewels track listing|
|"I Am Not a Robot" is track number 1.|
| Previous track|
| Next track|
"I Am Not a Robot" (registered as "(i Am Not a) Robot") is a song by Welsh singer-songwriter Marina and the Diamonds. The song was written by Marina Diamandis and produced by Liam Howe. It is the third track and the third single from her first studio album The Family Jewels.
In an interview with the UK newspaper The Sun, Diamandis states:
"They ["I Am Not A Robot" and "Numb"] are both about being emotionally detached. Even though I'm this jolly and bubbly person on the surface, I'm very different with certain people."
"I Am Not a Robot" was released as the fourth single from The Family Jewels on April 26, 2010. However, it was only released as a single in the United Kingdom.
Gareth James from Clash named "I Am Not a Robot" "one of 2009's best singles," calling it "an infectious pop track featuring a unique vocal with more fluctuations than Florence sat on a washing machine." Alexis Petridis from The Guardian commented that "the lovely delicacy of 'I Am Not a Robot's' tune is easy to miss when there's a woman doing Dalek voices over the top of it. Such are the dangers of trying a little too hard." John Murphy from musicOMH praised the song, saying it "shows a pleasing touch of vulnerability which works very well." Diamandis was also praised following a performance of the song on BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge on 23 April 2010.
Diamandis said that she decided to release "I Am Not a Robot" as a single because "people seem to empathize and relate with the song, regardless of gender or age".
Commercial performance and charts
I Am Not A Robot enjoyed commercial success across Europe, making the top 40 in the United Kingdom, Sweden, Belgium, and Norway. The song is also the most streamed The Family Jewels track on Spotify, with over 36 million plays as of July 2018.
|Belgium Singles Chart||8|
|Norway Singles Chart||6|
|Sweden Singles Chart||11|
|UK Singles Chart||26|
You Are Not a Robot
"I Am Not a Robot" was heavily sampled by Hoodie Allen in his debut single "You Are Not A Robot" in 2010.
Official music video
|Premiere||June 1, 2009|
|Filmed||May 6, 2009|
|Director||Chris Cottam, Rankin|
Behind the scenes
Alternate music video
|Premiere||April 14, 2010|
The video was directed by a currently unknown person and shot in the Hollywood Boulevard in 2010.
- Album version — 3:35
- LA version —3:30
- Instrumental version — 4:23
- Acapella version — 3:22
- Radio edit — 4:22
Demo version 1 — 3:25(Fake)
- Demo version 2 — 3:37 (MySpace Demo)
- Marina Diamandis — Glockenspiel, Piano, Vocals
- Alison Dods – Violin
- Calina de la Mere – Violin
- Chris Allan – Cello
- Dougal Lott – Assistant engineering
- Guy Davie – Mastering
- Liam Howe — Bass, Mellotron, Mixing, Philicorda, Production, Programming, Synths
- Lucy Shaw – Double bass, String arrangements
- Rachel Robson – Viola
- Richard Wilkinson – Engineering
- Steve Durham – Drums
- Published by Warner Chappell and Sony ATV
- Recorded at The Ivory Tower, Konk Studios (London)
- Mixed at The Ivory Tower
|Chart (2010)||Peak position|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||26|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||14|
- The same pose used in the single art was also used on the back of The Family Jewels' cover.
- At the end of the song, the sound of a heartbeat can be heard.
Buy "I Am Not a Robot EP"
- ↑ http://www.ultratop.be/fr/song/8dc48/Marina-&-The-Diamonds-I-Am-Not-A-Robot
- ↑ http://www.norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=I+Am+Not+A+Robot&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Marina+%26+The+Diamonds&titel=I+Am+Not+A+Robot&cat=s
- ↑ http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/20100502/7501/